How to Get a Florida Marriage License
The ONLY things you need to get a marriage license in Florida:
- Valid photo IDs for each person (Choices include USA drivers licenses, passports, military IDs, State or Federal ID cards.)
- If either has been married before, you must TELL them the exact date of how it resolved, eg, divorce, death
- They also make you sign a document stating you have read the Family Law Handbook. (It’s up to you whether you do or not but you have to sign a paper saying you did.)
That’s all you need.
No papers. No witnesses. No blood test.
JUST these four things above.
You will walk in, fill out the form, give them the items above. They will ask you if you read the 10 page pamphlet (the Family Law Handbook mentioned above.) If you say no, they will hand it to you and ask you to read it before they will issue you the license. If you say yes, they check off that box and finish issuing the license.
You will walk out the door with the marriage license.
If you’re a Florida resident you have to wait a mandatory 3 day period before the license can be used. If you’re not a Florida resident, you can use the license immediately.
To understand when you can use the marriage license, look on the form and find the box called “Effective Date.” The date in this box should be on or before your wedding date.
You can obtain the marriage license at any courthouse location in the State and use it throughout Florida. You DO NOT have to get the license at the county you are getting married in.
One question I hear frequently is “Where do I get a marriage license in Fort Lauderdale, Florida or Miami, FL?” You can get a marriage license at these courthouse locations.
FLORIDA MARRIAGE LICENSE COURTHOUSE LOCATIONS
(provided by Wedding Officiant Ft Lauderdale FL)
BROWARD COUNTY MARRIAGE LICENSE LOCATIONS
The Broward County Clerk of Court offers 5 locations throughout the county to get your marriage license. The main Broward county courthouse is at 201 SE 6th St, Room 270, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301 or at one of their other 3 locations. Their telephone number is (954) 831-7283. They have a great website with everything you need to know. To see all their rich information, head over to this link.
MIAMI-DADE COUNTY MARRIAGE LICENSE LOCATIONS
Your can find the Miami Central Marriage License Bureau at Overtown Village South, 601 NW 1st Ct., R 1900, Miami, FL 33136 and their telephone number is 305-275-1155. In addition to this location, Miami Dade offers another 6 locations to choose from. See the list here.
PALM BEACH COUNTY MARRIAGE LICENSE LOCATIONS
The courthouse serving Boca Raton is located at South County Courthouse, 200 W. Atlantic Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444 and their phone number is 561-274-1588. This location is closed on Fridays! Four additional locations throughout Palm Beach county, Florida can be found here.
MARRIAGE LICENSE COURTHOUSE LOCATIONS IN FLORIDA
To see a list of all the Marriage License Offices in the State, click this link.
If you only know the city name of where you want to get married but not the county, this is a helpful website to help you get that information, and directing you to the right office.
MARRIAGE LICENSE BY MAIL
Often I hear, “Can I get a marriage license by mail?” Answer – Yes, you can. Some folks are specially license by the State to walk your paperwork through for you if you can’t be present. Please contact me for a referral at firstname.lastname@example.org or (954) 303-5006.
OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW
- I file the license for you after the ceremony. It may take up to 6 weeks for you to receive the completed license in your mailbox from the State of Florida. Depending on the county where you got your license, the envelope may look like junk mail. No kidding! Do not throw any junk mail away without opening it first.
- The license is valid for 60 days from the issue date and your ceremony must be conducted within this time period.
- Florida does not require any health exams or blood tests to get married.
- You do not need a witness to apply for a wedding license.
- There is no residence or citizenship status requirement to apply.
- If either party has ever been married before, you HAVE to provide the exact date, of how it ended. You only have to tell them. You do not have to show them any paperwork.
- You must provide the officiant with a marriage license him/her to marry you. (The cost of this license is NOT included in my service to you. The marriage license fee is what the State charges to process our license. None of it is given to me.) You must go purchase your marriage license, and present it to me for me to do your wedding.
- You can only get married in Florida with a Florida marriage license. Licenses from other states or countries cannot be used. Valid Florida marriages are recorded in the official State of Florida record.
- The question they ask you about whether you’ve read the 10 page booklet asking you if you’re sure you want to get married is something new, and according the Clerk I spoke with is an attempt to reduce divorce.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301 (Broward County) including Weston, Hollywood and all the greater Fort Lauderdale, Florida region. TWL also serves Boca Raton, FL (Palm Beach County), North Miami Beach, FL and South Beach, Florida (Miami Dade County.)
Other regions available by request – travel fees may apply.